Gluten/ lactose/ sugar free
These can be used as bread/ scone/ pizza base
Makes 8 buns (scone sized)
1 ¼ oz sesame seeds (can use other seeds i.e. poppy, sunflower, pumpkin)
9.6 oz Brown Rice Flour
1 Tbsp Doves Organic baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
180ml unsweetened soy/ almond milk
2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt. Mix thoroughly and add the milk (this makes it a bit lumpy and odd – don’t worry, just mix well, and it will come together with the egg white)
3. Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the flour mixture with a metal spoon. This should form a sticky dough.
4. Lightly beat the egg yolks in a wide bowl and mix in the sesame seeds
5. Divide the mixture into 8, and gently roll the pieces into balls. Flatten slightly, dip into the egg and sesame seed mix to cover and place on a non-stick baking tray/ baking parchment.
6. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes. Test after 15 with a knife to make sure cooked inside. They should be golden and have risen slightly.
Pizza version: This mix can also be used as a pizza base – don’t use the egg yolk mix. Jut use the dough – spread it really thinly on a very very well oiled parchment (we have had pizzas completely stuck to the paper before now) with a metal spoon and cover with lovely ingredients, and cook for about 10-15 minutes. I used to make cheeseless pizzas, with lots of tomato sauce, garlic, shredded spinach, olives, mushrooms, capers, beetroot slices, and meats.